If you are new to Drupal, this session is definitely for you. Views is the key to taking your Drupal site beyond what you get out of the box, and if you are comfortable with Views, what you can do with your site is almost limitless.
We will (time allowing) cover:
- The difference between View Modes and Views
- Customizing existing views, such as the content and user lists, the home (front) page, term pages, and more
- Creating different types of displays with your views
- Properly formatting your views
- Grouping content in view lists
- Contextualizing content on your site with contextual filters
- How (views) relationships work and why they are really cool
- Building complex filters for selecting content, including and/or operators
- Exposing filters on your views in order to give your user a sense of control over what display
- And your questions!
I have presented this session a number of times before, and 1 hour is rarely enough time to get through everything, so we will move at a good pace and hit the essentials. In truth, this topic alone could stand an entire day of its own! If you have specific topics you'd love to see covered, feel free to use the comment section below so that I can make sure to include them in the session.
The session will be presented in Drupal 8, but everything discussed is backwards compatible with Drupal 7, as well.
If you are planning a schedule, Aimee Degnan's Harness the Power of View Modes session is a solid compliment to this one, even though the specific topics and tools are different.
We also strongly recommend that you follow this Views talk with Oliver Seldman's Intermediate Views session, which immediately follows this session in the schedule.